Sunday, January 13, 2008

CALL US CRAZY!!!


WE TRAINED
WE SHOPPED
WE CONQUERED!
My friend Ona and I ran a 1/2 marathon today! I'm so proud of Ona, she ran the whole thing, even with extreme pain in both knees. The woman was determined! We both had such a great time. It was a perfect day for a long run...no rain! We ran through beautiful countryside out in Turner, running past fields of cows, sheep, and pigs! It was a little foggy with a nice cool mist in the air. It really was a pleasant run. It was especially fun, because both of our husbands were there cheering us on! They were such goofballs though. At mile two they parked and cheered for us, yelling out, "good job, you're almost there!" And then a few miles later I heard something like, "we're cold now, we're getting back in the car, you keep running though!" But it made me laugh, and it was fun to see Jon's face every few miles. Right around mile 11 I hit my wall. My body felt so fatigued, and my legs felt like heavy weights, it took all I had to keep running at my target pace. And all I could think about was crossing that finish line and having a nice warm cup of coffee...I finished....

And I had my cup of coffee!

What a wonderful sense of accomplishment. This time last year, I was 20 pounds heavier and could barely run 1 mile. It feels so good to work towards a goal, and see it come to fruition.


Thank you Ona for keeping me accountable! There were many days when I didn't feel like going for a run, but I knew you were going to ask me if I ran. So I would go, just for you :)
So keep asking me!!!
And what blog post would be complete without a picture of Olivia? She is my adorable stretching buddy. She loves to stretch out with me, before I take off for a run. It's so cute, and she actually does all the stretches pretty accurately. Who knows, maybe one day the two of us will be out there running together!

23 comments:

Sharon said...

One word: WOW! Ok, another word: CONGRATULATIONS! Alright, and another word: INSPIRATIONAL. Actually, there's tons of words for you guys, including a good hearty WELL DONE!

At Red Robin today for lunch after church, I ran into another friend that ran that same half marathon today and I told her that I knew a couple other girls who ran it too! So, as I ate my fries I was thinking of you and Ona.....way to go, you guys!

Rachel said...

Good job you two! It's so great that you were able to train, and shop and have fun together!
You are both amazing!
And your stretching assistant really couldn't be any cuter.

Michelle said...

So... I am feeling teared up and a lump in my throat! I am trying to start running for the first time in my life. I am so out of shape right now! You are an inspiration. I love that a year ago you were out of shape, too! Your give me hope.

We went to dinner with Darrin and Angela on Friday... and talked about how awesome you are! I can't wait for you guys to come visit. :-)

Michelle said...

one other thing... that picture of Olivia is ADORABLE... that will be a neat picture if/when she is a senior athlete. :-)

Ona said...

You did awesome...like I said in my blog, "you kicked my butt". Cant wait to do another one. Hopefully run it! Jon got some really good pictures of you. Olivia is so adorable. She's proud of her mama!

Angela said...

Great job!!!
I just love seeing pictures of you and Ona you both look great!

I can totally see Jon out there cheering you on and being goofy!

Anonymous said...

SO IMPRESSED...and 20 pounds lost? WOW Liz!

I actually miss that foggy northwest winter air right now, today in Pasadena it's going to be a smoggy 74 degrees. I'm not bragging, either, I actually love days like that in Oregon, and am longing for them.

So seriously...Congratulations! I'm going to start a new laid back blog soon...I'll let you know when I get it started. I miss blogging..but it was time for a break.

Take care...you look INCREDIBLE, btw. Jen Green

momaof4 said...

What an insperation you girls are!! It's so exciting that you can mark off a goal, and now set new ones!!

20 pounds!? GREAT JOB, that is not easy.

Anonymous said...

This is such a great story. I am really inspired by your commitment. This is also a great story about friends spurring one another on...so cool!

Great job Liz.

February Jill said...

Good for you, Liz. I'm not really a runner, but I want to run a 10K this 4th of July. I'm going to use your success as some good inspiration!

Anonymous said...

wow!!!Mom you must of worked really hard!!!I love your streting budy!!! Love Sarah

Valerie of Momia said...

Great job!! I think it's wonderful that you guys have been "in it together"! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you girls look HOT in your after picture for just running a 1/2 marathon. Im so impressed. Miss ya, Janell

Unknown said...

You girls are so cute! Congratulations! I'm so glad Jon and Dave could be there to cheer you both on and take some photos!

Olivia is SO cute!

Christi said...

I'm so ready to go running right now. Even though I'm sure it was so, so challenging you make it look so easy and fun. Awesome job...if I do a post in a couple years about running a 1/2 marathon I'll have to give you a little of the credit!

February Jill said...

Well Liz,
I wish I had your email because there's lots I'd like to say to you about our matchmaking that I'd rather not post for all to see... I think I'm going to ask Becca if she has it.

LizzyG said...

Jill,
My email address is in my profile

Lindsay said...

That is so awesome! What an inspiration. You and Ona rock!!

Tiffany said...

We don't know each other (only met you once at the blog party), but I do occasionally read your blog (is that weird?). I thought I'd comment about your 5th photo down - you look like you are in your element and despite the nasty weather the day looks tranquil and peaceful.

Kristie said...

Hi! I'm Angela and Michelle's friend! I'm rediscovering running again myself this year! Hoping to be ready in May to run the 5K in Eugene while you guys are running the 1/2 marathon!

Just wanted to tell you that I'm very encouraged by your post and your comment on Michelle's running blog!

Anyway, congrats and thanks for sharing about your experience!

Lindsay said...

Go Liz Go!! Great pictures & I'm totally cheering you on :)

Stefanie said...

Liz,

I am way behind in the blog world. Another big run for you! Hurray and good job on the weight loss. I now have about 40 pounds to lose after baby...slowly but surely:) Can't wait til week 6 when doc says I can head back to gym.

Olivia is such a petite little cutie!

Kristie said...

Hi Liz!

Thank you so much for your comments on my running blog! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress too! I'm sure you'll be right back into it in no time at all!

Looking forward to possibly meeting face to face in May!:)

Happy running!