Thursday, October 25, 2007

Modern Day Miracle

I received a phone call today.
Not just any phone call, but a phone call from Willamette University..... offering me the position of "part time administrative assistant for the International Debate Education Association"




Now let me tell you what a miracle this is. I have no office experience whatsoever. And I thought surely there would be many, many more qualified applicants then myself. I do however, have a wonderful dear friend who works for IDEA. She told me back in June this position would be opening, and thought I would be perfect for it. Plus, we're good friends and we would get to work together, so how fun is that? So, since June I have been preparing myself to be qualified for this position: Taking a QuickBooks course and fine tuning my Excel skills. And also, this job was one of the reasons we decided to not home school this year. So all of those middle of the night comments on your blogs, were usually because I was up late cramming in an online QuickBooks course, and when I couldn't bear to look at one more spread sheet, I would check out and head over to Blog World.

I am beyond excited right now! My interview was just two days ago, and I start tomorrow - yikes!!!

But why am I so thrilled about this job?
I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years, 6 months and 5 days. Well, sort of. When Daniel was 6 months old I began serving at Newport Bay Restaurant two nights a week, and have been there ever since. It was a great way to supplement Jon's income. Believe it or not we lowly servers make pretty good money. Are you ready for this? When it's all said and done, I make an average of $30 per hour. So working 15 hours a week has been very helpful financially! And the nice part is I worked at night, so I could stay home with the kids during the day and was even able to home school for four years, and Jon would be with them the two nights I worked. But now, our kids aren't so little anymore, and every night seems to be jam packed with some sort of activity. And, not to mention waitressing for 10 years is starting to take its toll. I don't quite enjoy it like I used to. And being surrounded by 20 year old college students doesn't quite boost the self-esteem either. So I am extremely looking forward to this new change. Oh, and did I mention if I am working at Willamette when our kids are college age, they can all three go to Willamette University for FREE!!!
Olivia and I enjoying a tea party out in the sun a few days ago. This sunny fall weather has been so beautiful. And I have especially been enjoying my one on one time with Olivia while Daniel and Sarah are in school; although I have been missing them and our home school days together greatly! It's definitely bittersweet.

17 comments:

Angela said...

CONGRATULATIONS LIZ!!!!
I am so excited for you!
I already left a comment on this post and now it is not there. What the heck?
Anyway they are going to be so lucky to have you! I can't wait to hear how tomorrow goes. I will be praying it goes AWESOME!
Love you!

Ona said...

Congratulations!!! How exciting for you. Have a wonderful first day!

Michelle said...

Wow... HUGE congrats to you! The bonus of free college for your kids is AMAZING (as I pile on the student loans myself!). Exciting exciting changes in the works for you. Please keep us posted how it goes tomorrow.

Glory Laine said...

And just minuets behind me with fantastic news! I love, love Willamette's campus. I am so excited for you. This also means that mamma needs a new wardrobe! Wow Liz what amazing prep work you did to get this job. Your amazing. Can't wait to hear about your first day.

Rachel said...

Oh Liz, good for you!!! I'm so happy that you got the position!! It sounds like you worked hard for this spot. And as a girl who waitressed her way through college , whoopeee!!
I still occasionally have nightmares about forgetting to put someone's order in but no worries. We'll have to swap stories sometime (I worked at McGrath's). I've never made as much as I did waitressing, but how nice it will be to work sitting down instead of on your feet!
Good luck and I hope it's everything you want it to be!!
And, again, you two could be models!!

Rachel said...

Oh, and sorry, can I say that free tuition at Willamette sounds like a great price for college!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Liz! Sounds like you worked hard to get this job. You have much to be proud of! Good luck tomorrow. Beautiful picture of you and Olivia!

HappyMomma2 said...

I am so blessed to have met you. I am honored to have Olivia at our childcare center. You can call anytime and check on her-I will make sure she gets the best care possible. I am praying that your 1st day goes well. Just make sure you request Friday Feb 9th off-thats the start of our women's retreat. Then you will be able to meet some of these crazy blogging ladies!

Sharon said...

Wow! That is just awesome! Way to go! And I think Becca hit the nail on the head: shopping!! What will you wear for your first day?? Which shoes?? Those might be tougher decisions than which spread sheet format to use.

Keep us posted (literally) on how it's going! I'm so glad Olivia is in such loving and capable hands while you're there! Abby called me the other day when you'd come in to tell me that she got to meet the infamous LizzyG! : )

I hope you enjoyed your Shrutte (sp?)fix tonight~I missed it. We were at Gabby's choir concert. I'll have to catch it on the web.

Anyway, I'll say a prayer for you tomorrow. First days are interesting days! You're going to do GREAT!

Kim H. said...

Congratulations!

Jen said...

ROCK ON!!

Have a great first few weeks. I've been told (and experienced) that it takes about 3 months to really settle into a job and 6 months to make it your own. At least for an office setting. So be patient with the transition. You're going to do great!

I think you should get a Dwight bobble head for your desk. :)

Also, you have some of the best hair ever! Jen

Stefanie said...

This is so huge for your family! Big excitement, big changes - sounds like a real answer to your prayers. I love the picture of you and Olivia - so sweet. Where will she be now during the day? Prayers with you RIGHT NOW!

Julie said...

Congratulations, Liz! I think that is just awesome ... and a real answer to prayer.

Sounds like all of us are eager to hear about your first day, and how it all goes for you!

I'm sure you went to work looking FABULOUS!!!

Love the pic of you and your sweet Olivia, and I LOVE tea parties :)

Unknown said...

I love the pic of you and Olivia, two gorgeous gals!

CONGRATULATIONS on this position! How exciting for you. I really hope your first day was amazing and hope you love the position. It sounds like you worked really really hard for this, so you deserve it! and the free tuition, AWESOME!

I was beginning to wonder why you hadn't posted...but I saw in some comments that you and Becca were betting!! You sly dogs!!

Lindsay said...

SO excited for you to begin this new adventure/challenge/opportunity!!
God is going to use you in mighty ways as you interact with others on a day to day basis!
Congrats & blessings to you this week! :)

February Jill said...

You are my new favorite person since you think I look good post-partum AND you like my eyebrows! I think you're my new BFF!

Valerie of Momia said...

I learned two thing by reading this post:

A) I should be a waitress. I could make more doing that than teaching. I'm not teaching any more and how many more years until I'm done with student loan bills?? Which brings me to...

B) I should work for Willamette shortly before and during Makayla's (and any other children's) college years.

Congrats to you!!!!!!

I'm sometimes at the office helping out Josh. Maybe I'll see you when you drop off or pick up Olivia!