Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Sweat, Cheese-Puffs and Roses

Sometimes I am so disappointed in myself and my lack of self-control. It was late last night, Jon was working, and I diligently pulled myself off the couch and worked out on the elliptical. I sweated my jiggly glutes off for 40 minutes, burning 300 calories. Then instead of taking a shower and going to bed. I wandered out to the kitchen and pulled out the laptop. As I sat in front of the computer, THEY called to me....twisty cheese-puffs! My daughter had begged me to buy them for her sleepover the night before. Hmm.... 7 cheese puffs = 160 calories. "I'll just have three" were the fatal words I said to myself. One hour and over half the bag later, my workout completely wasted, I heard Jon trying to unlock the front door. Knowing he had his hands full, I went to the door to let him in. I was quite a beautiful sight to behold as I greeted him: Hair in a ponytail, bangs pulled back with Olivia's sparkly flower clips, mascara smeared around my eyes, stinking of sweat and body odor, and cheese puff crumbs around my mouth. He looked at me and gave me that big grin which still makes my heart pound, and then pulled out a dozen roses he had hiding behind his back. As I smiled in complete surprise, I could feel the cheese-puffs still in my mouth and stuck to my teeth......NICE!

Needless to say, I was very blessed by Jon's display of affection. It had been a very difficult and tiring week, and there is no sign of it lightening up any time soon. And sometimes I feel like I do so much for everyone else, and nobody appreciates it, or even notices. I feel like I'm nothing more then a maid, cook, activities director (not only for my own kids, but all the neighbor kids as well), and even a single mom at times. And just at the moment when the pitty party is in full swing and I'm wondering, "what's it all for anyway?" (and I want to ditch the kids and run off to Nordstrom's for the day with a credit card), my husband lets me know he does notice, and most of all, he appreciates what I do and loves me....sweat, cheese-puffs and all. Thanks Jon. It's the little things like that which keep me going. I folded the mountain of laundry today with renewed vigor. And when I cleaned the toilets, I felt loved and appreciated....thank you :)


Two are better than one.....For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion.
~Ecclesiastes 4:9,10

5 comments:

Angela said...

What a good guy!
I am just picturing you with cheese puffs on your face!

Unknown said...

Hi Liz, my name is Meghan Diaz. I found your blog from Becca Riddle's. I work with Jon, and actually he is riding with my husband Eddie right now (who I'm sure you've heard about and hopefully good things!). I found your blog a few weeks ago and hope you don't mind that I've been reading it. It's such a joy to read. You write such wonderful things about your family! I especially like this post, as it sounds a lot like me, and its SO honest! I am known to complete a hard workout and then go to McDonald's....eeeewww! Just wanted to let you know I enjoy reading your blog...I had mentioned it to Jon a week or so ago and he encouraged me to post! Looking forward to reading mroe about you and your lovely family! Meghan :)

Glory Laine said...

What a great post! Wonderful visual and made me laugh out loud. We really need to have you guys over soon. You bring the cheese puffs and I'll provide a excerise video that can play in the background.

Michelle said...

ahh... what a sweet post. I am with you... sometimes the life of a mom is thankless... and pity parties are the norm... WAY TO GO to Jon!!! thanks for the prayers for Zeke... he is a trooper!

Anonymous said...

hey liz,

enjoyed the pics & story. i can't believe how the kids have grown. i don't think i would have recognized little sarah and olivia.
you have a real knack for writing! have you ever thought of starting to write an editorial like dear abby or something!? seriously, i bet there are a lot of moms out there that could relate to your stories and could use the inspiration and humor.
take care liz and keep up the good work!!!
-trav