Friday, July 27, 2007

MANDATE

Webster's dictionary defines the word mandate as an authoritative command. So, if I gave birth to you, and you are female, you are mandated to play volleyball from the age of 5 until after your college graduation. You are required to go to summer volleyball camps, and practice with me in the back yard daily, and you WILL watch my high school highlight videos with enthusiasm!
OK, not really. But I have looked forward to this day for a long time now: my daughter is old enough to play volleyball. Her league starts this September, but she attended a summer volleyball camp this last week. It was a momentous occasion, watching my daughter walk into the same gym that I once played in, her water bottle in hand, knee pads around the ankles, perfect outfit (handpicked by me), perfect ponytail, complete with a ribbon tied in a bow. When I picked her up, I watched the last half hour of practice. They were working on overhand serves, and poor Sarah was not getting it, and she was not having fun. As we were walking out of the gym, I excitedly asked her, "how was it?" Sarah gave me a not so excited reply, "it was ok". I told her when we get home I would help her work on her serve. And she sweetly said, "no thanks mom, I'm kinda tired of volleyball"..... The words took my breath away, I was speechless, not believing the words that came from my daughter's mouth. How can this be? She's supposed to LOVE it, we're supposed to spend countless hours playing in the back yard together, we're supposed to hang our state championship medals on the wall, side by side. There's so much I can teach her, so much knowledge and love of the game to pass on. What will I do if she doesn't want to play volleyball?!!!! So I counted to ten, took three cleansing breaths, and calmed down. I have stopped asking Sarah if she wants to practice with me, and after much prayer and fasting (kidding), I have come to accept that volleyball may not be my daughter's favorite sport. In fact, she may decide (deep breath) that she doesn't want to play at all....and that's ok.

There's always Olivia.

In all seriousness, I love watching each of my kids develop into their own, unique person. And I see how God has gifted each child differently. They each have different characteristics, strengths and weaknesses. It's a joy to watch them grow. In fact Daniel just reminded me today, that he will have his driver's license in 5.6 years. So yes, time is flying by, and I just want to enjoy them now, while they still want me around....regardless of whether they play sports or not!

Oh, high school volleyball! Such good memories!

Look at you Shauna! It's no wonder Duane fell head over heels for you! 13 years later, I don't think we've changed that much do you?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Your daughter looks so much like you! I love the 90's pictures. :-) BTW... I am a friend of Angela's, I read your blog from time to time. I have been enjoying your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

What in the world?! What a scary picture of me...that was back in the day of frizzy hair and enormously thick eyebrows! That was before I learned to pluck them...I cracked up when I read this and almost called you, but it was too late. Thanks for the fun post...Go Crusaders!

LizzyG said...

OH Shauna! There are many more pictures where that came from! I just went through my memory box from high school and middle school and found a ton of hillarious pictures, especially of Darrin and Duane! What good times! And by the way, I didn't have thick eyebrows like you...I had a bushy monobrow!! I couldn't believe some of the pictures, how could we not have realized how bad it was?

Anonymous said...

Hands off boys she's all Mine.

LizzyG said...

Is that you Duane...Duane Carl...aka DCD? Yes,I remember your middle name! and I remember Darrin's is Lonny. There's a whole lot more I remember too, all the way back to 6th grade! I've been showing Jon all of my old SA pics and memorabilia, it's been so fun looking back. And yes, Shauna is all yours, and what a beauty she is. I love that picture of her!

Angela said...

Very cute!

Sharon said...

I am so happy that I happened upon this blogspot today, via dear Becca! It was so fun and touching to read through some of your posts! I can totally relate to the volleyball gene...oh I wished my daughters would receive it! But alas! I have (gulp) a full-fledged soccer daughter....remember those soccer girls in the locker room during v-ball season? I know.

Anyway, thanks for letting me snoop around your blog, I think I just may have to come back! : )