Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Perspective

Voting isn’t something you do every year or two. We cast multiple votes each day. We cast votes for heaven or hell, for grace or truth. For self-control or self-indulgence. For the Spirit or the Flesh. For abiding in Christ, or independence from Christ. For wisdom or foolishness, and for blessing or curse. Every decision we make, every action we take—and the heart attitude with which we conduct our lives—casts a vote for one kingdom or another. Every vote counts. God tallies them. Eternity will be affected by them. You can still talk to parents and kids in your neighborhood about the value of unborn children, and offer support and help as needed. You can go to city streets and homeless shelters and offer your service. Your ballot may not have made a difference, but your vote to love your neighbor will. God won’t overlook it, as He won’t overlook a single cup of water given to little ones in His name. Our next chance to vote is right here and right now, whether we spend time with God, pray for His help, read His Word, serve our family, help the poor, give to help the dying and needy in the Sudan, entertain this thought, speak these words, watch this television program, or click on this Internet site. (You already vote often; so vote wisely.) The key to change and influence in this world is not, and never has been, politics. It is faithfulness to Jesus. In the end, which will never end, acts of faithfulness—many of them quiet, some seen only by God—are the votes that will count, bringing the eternal results that will matter.

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” (Ephesians 2:10).

Circumstances change: Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. (Proverbs 27:1)

Our Savior does not change: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

Only by trusting in Christ and His promise of the world to come can we find peace: Trust God; don't worry; be at peace. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am…Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:1-3, 27)

No matter what direction our earthly country may be going, it is our never-ending heavenly country that we should represent: All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. (Hebrews 11:13-16)

America may or may not unravel in coming decades, but God’s kingdom certainly won’t. People of the world don't need America; they need Jesus. While living in the wreckage of this sin-stained earth, let’s realize the world's main problem is that it's inhabited by people like us, sinners in need of redemption. These thirsty people need us to reach out our hands and extend to them, as cold water, the love of Jesus.


This text is just a small excerpt from Randy Alcorn's blog. He had many, many more good things to say today (and every day). I encourage you to stop by and read today's post in its entirety.

6 comments:

February Jill said...

Hey Liz,
These are great thoughts, thanks for sharing.

Did you cut your hair again? So cute!

Jill

Stefanie said...

Liz,

Okay, I am going to be a little transparent here - bare with me. This sleep thing (any transition with Maisie) takes it all out of me and I have been a bit of an emotional mess.

Everyone's comments have been so so helpful! I am taking them all in and weighing what might work for our family/Maisie.

But your comment especially made me realize that I messed up big time with this one. I know it would have been a struggle no matter what with this girl, but we didn't sit down and establish any rules (DUH!). I've been reacting a lot and probably doing some damage too.

So needless to say we're going to have to backtrack a bit.

You make mothering look really easy - I have heard from others that your children are amazingly well behaved and I feel like I am not doing a very good job at this lately.

EEK - tears!

Honest - your comment helped a ton. It's just that I wish I had done this a little differently and with more prayer.

Thanks,
Stef

LizzyG said...

Oh Stef, I love the fact that you're transparent and don't try to convince us that you have it all together. Because the truth is, none of us moms have it all together...we all struggle.

Exactlty two nights ago I sat on my bed in tears telling my husband how I feel like I'm failing in every area of my life, especially as a parent. I do not have perfect children who obey me all the time, and I feel like I'm constantly making mistakes and "back tracking".

I envy the fact that you're able to stay home with your girls and give them your full attention. That alone is such a gift you're able to give them, and they are blessed to have such a nurturing mother. Don't get down, look up :) He's the one who will give you the best advice and direct your steps as a mother.

Stefanie said...

Liz,

Okay, I feel a little bit better -but I can still tell that you are one awesome mom.

Stay tuned for the next blog post - I just talked to Mike and we are making a fresh start tonight.

You don't even have to pray for her to sleep later. Just pray that we are strong in our rules and follow thru with her.

And you cracked me up about the starbucks card...isn't it sad how that is gold to all of us?

Unknown said...

What an adorable picture of you and Olivia!

Valerie of Momia said...

Excellent thoughts!