Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Looking Back

Here is a picture of the house I grew up in,
in Bend. Well, not exactly "grew up in". I lived there from birth to eleven years old. Even though we moved to Salem when I was fairly young, I have so many good memories from my time here. We didn't have a TV when I was a kid, so my two older brothers and I spent every spare minute running around outside, riding bikes, making forts, climbing trees, sleeping out on the back deck in the summer, skiing to the grocery store in the winter. I remember even jumping off the roof of our house into the snow. Just looking at this picture brings back so many memories. In fact, every time we drive through Bend, I am always flooded with memories....Good times!My brother Jeremy on our back deck.



On Mother's Day weekend my two brothers stayed at our house. Nate flew in from Texas and Ben drove down from Seattle. On one of the nights, my adorable little brother Ben cooked an authentic organic, Seattle-hippy-style dinner for all of us. :) I was so impressed: Grilled eggplant with humus, spinach, red peppers, kalamata olives and feta cheese. And it was actually amazingly delicous! Both of my brothers are actually very talented musicians, and can sing VERY well. So the three of us competed against each other singing High School Musical songs on the Wii. Nate was undefeated, so Ben and I kept trying and trying to beat his high score, but no such luck. Although, I did take them both to school in Wii sports as we played into the "wii hours" of the morning. And I must let you know I'm the undisputed tennis champ! Olivia absolutely adores my brother Nate and followed him around everywhere he went.



Daniel and Sarah had their big Spring Piano Recital, and they both did so well. We kept our tradition, and had a big after-party at Konditorei, where the kids get to pick out the biggest, yummiest piece of cake they can find. It's a hoot with Grandmas, Grandpas, Aunts & Uncles, because we all order a different kind of cake, and then sample each others...yummmm! I'm so glad I started this tradition. Pure genius, if I do say so myself.

On Mother's Day we all went to my mom's graduation ceremony at Willamette University. I'm so proud of my mom and her amazing accomplishment. She worked very hard for that degree!That's my adorable, little sister Abby on the left. And once again, we celebrated with more food!

It's been a busy, but good last two weeks. Looking back, I have so much to be thankful for.


Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


9 comments:

Jen said...

I love that the first thing I do when I get to work is check my google reader...I love Lizzy G posts! Your blog always makes me smile and brightens my stressful days!

I am very inspired by your Mom, is this her bachelors or masters? I long for the day to be wearing that black robe myself...I'm glad to see I'm not the only one still pursue education after age 22. One day, one day...I'll have that Bachelors in Business and dreamingly I hope for my own MDIV...one day!

Happy day Liz! Colby has his spring violin concert tonight...I will try to update my blog soon too..we've been in crazy crazy mode around here.

Bless Ya! Jen Green

Angela said...

What a great update!

Miss you my friend. I am so glad you were able to spend some good quality time with your brothers!

Hope to see you very soon!

Michelle said...

Do you see those cute little "bunny ears" behind your brother in the first picture? Sweet. I love reading your posts. Very cool about your mom. I, too, am one of those who is fighting to finish my education at an 'inopportune' time in life. :) I think it means so much more.

Lindsay said...

That's awesome you have such great relationships with your siblings and fond memories growing up together. That is my prayer for my kids as they grow. What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Really appreciated your Blog. Lost one of ourt three grown daughters last April to Lupus.

LizzyG said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. I know first hand the heart-breaking pain caused by the loss of a loved one. I feel it every day. Shortly after my brother died, I read the book "A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows Through Loss", by Jerry Sitser. He lost his mother, wife and daugher in a tragic accident, and his book is simply amazing. My email address is jonluvsliz2@yahoo.com

Please drop me an email with your address (or any mailing address you feel comfortable giving me), and I will mail the book to you. It's well worth reading.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
~Psalm 34:18

Rachel said...

You have been a busy girl! How fun to be able to spend so much time with your family.

February Jill said...

What a great post Liz! Isn't it funny how we women grow up but somehow brothers never do?

Jill

P.S. I love Olivia's dress is your family picture!

Christi said...

I moved to Salem at that age too!

I had to tell you that I just got my husband a Wii for his birthday...I'll be working on my tennis skills just in case I get to meet you someday and we partake in a little Wii competetion.

I love hearing about all the cool things you've had the chance to do with your family!