Saturday, January 5, 2008

Why Is Christmas Over?

How do you tell a 3 year old Christmas is over?(Will her bangs ever grow out after catching on fire? I'm beginning to think not)

And yes, Olivia is 3 now. She turned 3 on December 28. And yes, I should be banned from blogging forever due to my appalling lack of documenting Garland family events. The last two weeks have been a blurry haze. So much has happened, and yet I wasn't able to find 5 minutes to get to the computer and even turn it on. On top of that, I can't find my camera. The last time I saw it was Christmas Eve day when we were able to have a wonderful visit with our dear friends and relatives. So Shauna or Angela, if by chance you haven't used your diaper bags since Christmas Eve, check and see if my camera ended up in there! :)

So yes, no pictures of Christmas 2007. No pictures of the week long visit with my brother, his wife and little girl. No pictures of all our adventures these last two weeks held for us...so sad.

But back to the title of this post. Olivia can't seem to understand why we are taking all the Christmas decorations down, and is having quite a hard time with it all. Jon hasn't been able to take the outside lights down yet. Last night she went to the front window, looked out longingly and said,

"please mommy, please can we turn on the kwissmus likes?"

"No sweetie, Christmas is over"

"Why not?" (which means why)

"Because it's a new year now"

"But I want to see the pwetty kwissmus likes"

"No Joy-Joy (her nickname), Christmas is over"

"mooommmmyyy!!!" (as she sprawls herself out on the ground and fake cries, hoping I'll give in. But I won't, my pride is too great. I will not risk our neighborly reputation and turn on Christmas lights after January 1st....that would be soooo wrong!)

But how do you tell a 3 year old Christmas is over? She doesn't want it to end. She loved every single twinkling light, every ornament on the tree, each and every figure in the nativity set, which is now missing Joseph's hand, an angel's wing, and a donkey's ear. Her new found love for Christmas is so sweet, and reminds me of how I used to be as a child. Christmas has always been my absolute favorite time of year. But the last few years I have been enjoying it less and less. Why is that? The meaning of Christmas alone should be enough to fill our home with joy, as we reflect on what Jesus did for us: Coming to earth in the form of a helpless baby, so he could live a life blameless, without sin, take our place and die a sinner's death, so that we might have forgiveness and eternal life. Isn't that enough?!!! Why do I allow myself to get so stressed out and wrapped up in the materialism of the holiday? So I've been thinking, I hereby make a promise, a New Year's Resolution if you will, to enjoy Christmas more next year. To be better prepared. To get the decorations down from the attic, shopping completed, and Christmas cards written by November. Christmas only comes once a year, and for such a short time. Yet it comes with so many opportunities to make memories and to bless others. You just need one thing: TIME. Next year I want to do whatever it takes, so that come December, I have nothing but time. Time to relax and enjoy my family and friends. And most importantly, time to share the life-changing message of Christmas, by blessing those who are in need. As I look back on our past Christmas' as a family, my favorite memories are the ones when we focused on giving and blessing others. That will by my focus next year! So I guess you can say, I've learned a valuable lesson. And I am looking forward to this new year, and all that God has in store for our family. May God bless you as head into this wonderful new year!

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith." ~Hebrews 12:1-2

I will leave you with my precious few pictures I have of December:

6 comments:

Ona said...

She is so cute!!! Kaia is sitting on my lap and she just made her "surprised" face, she recognized her from the other day I assume.

p.s. another pair of pants would never be noticed if you just went and bought them :) At least not here!

Rachel said...

She really is so cute! I take all my decorations down after Sawyer goes to bed....we had a similar incident at our house when she was 3 and it just was too hard to explain!

Unknown said...

I am with little Olivia...I think you should turn on the "kwissmuss likes". She is just too cute. Such a sweet smile...so much for me to look forward to with our upcoming little one. I hope you find your camera soon!

Angela said...

I have not seen your camera. Did you call Wilma?

I agree I would love to have everything done by November. I want to enjoy every second of the Christmas season!

Anonymous said...

My little guy Mason and Olivia share the same birthday-same year. He just turned 3 as well.

I like your idea of taking time next year to enjoy the season.

momaof4 said...

What a great goal to have it all done. It is something I am going to aim for. So not into the last minute stuff!!

Our 3 year old...wants to know when Santa comes...guess the stocking weren't good enough ;)