Tuesday, October 30, 2007

An Oscar Worthy Performance

Here's a quick update on my first day of work:

I felt like the biggest fish out of water ever!!!

It was quite humorous actually. I felt like I was some sort of actress playing the role of a distinguished business woman.

My boss is a well respected professor, and president of something, I don't remember exactly. We spent most of the day strolling around the campus, going into different offices as he introduced me to all sorts of important people. Why? I don't really know. But as he introduced me to the Dean, I had to keep whispering to myself, "confidence Liz, confidence". I felt so out of place. Especially when he asked me to join him for lunch, and we sat down at a table with Willamette faculty members, who were all deep in conversation using long, knowledgeable words, and I kept thinking, "I need to refill their water glass, oh wait, I'm not a waitress right now"

But, overall the day went well. I held my head high and walked around like I owned the place. :) It was sort of a freebie, as I didn't have to do any actual office work, which I am thankful for, because I am scared to death. Yes, I've taken the appropriate courses, but can I actually do the job? I don't know. I'll give it my best shot though!
The best part of my day was the fact that Olivia had a great day! I will be working 20 hours: 2 full days and one half day. We only needed someone to watch Olivia on one of those days, as Jon is home on the other two. So on Fridays she will be going to Court Street Christian Childcare. I was so worried about how she would do, but she loved it!!! We really built it up, and have been telling her she is going to school. We bought her a new Little Mermaid blanket and pillow for nap time, a Cinderella lunchbox, and of course, what first day of school would be complete without a new pair of shoes? She was so cute in the morning before we left, as she was so excited and kept saying "I go to skewl"



But let me tell you, leaving her there was hard. Not for her, but for me. In ten years of parenting I had never done this before. She jumped right in and started playing, and had no problem saying goodbye, but I was worried sick about her all day. Thankfully, Abby text messaged me a picture of her sleeping at nap time and said she was doing great. Thanks Abby!




And how do you bring such a great day to a close?
With ice cream of course!

13 comments:

February Jill said...

Congrats on your first day! I know what you mean about "leaving" your baby for the first time. It killed me to walk away on Elsa's first day of preschool!
As to the comment Stefanie left, I didn't really get it. There's no break up that I know of! We're still online BFF's! :)
P.S. I think you are the first person that I know a significant amount about, that knows something about me, that I've never met but like very much. You are my first true online buddy!

Rachel said...

Yeah! The first day is always nerve-racking, it's nice you didn't have to do anything more than smile and nod. And don't worry about the office work, I'm sure you'll do well. Life is full of challenges, but I have always found that when a job is challenging I enjoy it more.
Of course it was harder for you to leave Oliva then for her to be left at a place that has new toys and new kids to play with, but it sounds like you have left her in very good hands...and I hope that makes it easier for you.
I was thinking about you on Friday and I hope this job works out to be all that you want it to be!
I hear that Willamette has the yummiest food..so if nothing else, lunch can always be enjoyable!!!

Lindsay said...

You're a lifelong learner Liz. Keep it up... and when you feel like you're in above your head, look up! He's there - cheering you on and whispering "you can do it" in your ear. :)

So glad Olivia had a great day too! I'll be praying that it continues!

Blessings to you in this new adventure - it's going to be Awesome!

Angela said...

Liz you will be great!
So glad that you survived your first day!
You are sending Oliva to a great place. I was there quite often when I was a wee one!!!

Ona said...

Glad you and Olivia had a wonderful first day. CSCCC is a wonderful place ...I worked there for a couple years until I had Kaia. Miss it! Ice cream, yum!!!

Michelle said...

So glad to see a post..:-) I can completely relate to your feelings with Olivia! It is so comforting, though, to watch them be independent and confident. It communicates that God is in this... where He leads... we will follow. :-) Blessings on your week.

Julie said...

Yea! I'm so glad that it's all been going well...isn't Abby amazing? That was so sweet of her to send you that picture of Olivia.

Good luck with your new job, Liz. I know you'll do great! You've got a lot of friends cheering you on!

momaof4 said...

Hi lizzyG. I am a friend of some of these gals. And heard about the fun story of mommaof2 figuring out who you were...so I just had to come read your blog. :)
All your music and quotes have made my day this morning. Thank you!!

Hosmerita said...

She is just so darn cute!
Abby is a blessing. When my family first started attending Court Street my daughter would scream the whole service. Abby committed herself to making Ava comfortable every Sunday.
Congrats on the career transition! I always think about how nice it would be to have some adult interaction during the day that didn't consist of talking about potty training and diapers!

Stefanie said...

Liz,

I was waiting for this! It was a great description and I smiled about the water glass part. Olivia is in great hands there - I know Tobin loves it and is there on Friday's too. It's wonderful that you and your hubby worked that out so smoothly. She is adorable.

PS - I don't know what Jill is talking about regarding me - "break up?" Did I miss something? I'm searching my brain - help!

Stefanie said...

Ok - Jill cleared up your guys "broke up" joke. I cleared up my end on her newest post:). Sorry I confused you two - ha!

HappyMomma2 said...

Liz-I am so glad your day went so well. Chloe is such a blessing to us. I am so proud of you for accepting such a huge challenge of getting a new job. First days are the worst!!! God will see you through everything. Here is to a new opprotunity-Go Liz!!!!

Sharon said...

So proud of you! And I hope you got new shoes for your first day as well! : )

Isn't Abby the best?? What a sweet text she sent you!