Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Tradition of Giving















Six years ago, Jon's grandmother, Fern, lived at a retirement home. We took our two little kids all dressed up to go see her on Halloween. Well, when we got there all the residents came out of the woodwork to see the kids and try to get some free hugs. Jon's grandma was grinning ear to ear as she enjoyed the attention and everyone telling her how adorable her great-grandchildren were. Well, Jon and I both saw how lonely these wonderful elderly people were, and how much joy a smiling child can bring into their lives. So the next year we went back, but this time armed with gift bags! We made crafts and cards. We bought bookmarks, tracts, sugar free candy and hot cocoa packets. And the kids went around handing the bags out to the "old people" (as the kids call them). Sadly, Fern passed away in January of 2005. But we still go back every year, although it's not the same without her there, and we miss her very much. Well, this was our fifth year doing this, and we had a blast! Most of them remember us from previous years. The kids go through the dining room handing out gift bags. I feel so overwhelmed with joy as I stand back and watch them. They are so excited to hand out the bags, and they really do want to bless the people there. They were such troopers too! Tonight, an old man asked if he could give Sarah a kiss (yikes!), and she sweetly said, "how about a hug?" And Daniel ended up getting a big kiss on the cheek from a sweet old lady!















After dinner, Daniel and Sarah played piano for a very appreciative audience.






















And we all enjoyed hanging out for a while and visiting with the residents. And Olivia was happy to give away as many hugs as she could!
 












 
After the retirement home, there was one last tradition to uphold, which is mine and Jon's favorite: Dinner at The Roadhouse! The kids love it because they can show off their costumes, be noisy and throw peanuts on the floor. Jon and I love it because we love steak and prime rib!
Then, with our tummy's full, it was off to visit with relatives.Finally, it was time to head for home. And with chocolate still on our faces, we said goodnight!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post caught my attention because it is such a sweet tradition for your family.

One year we went with a homeschool group to a local retirement home and gave the residents valentines cards. They loved every second of it. And it was great for my kids, because sometimes they seem a little fearful of older folks, and it helped them to see that they are just people who love to see the joy of children.

I'm glad you had a great holiday!

We went out to dinner last night after the harvest party at our church. I'd like to make that a tradition. The restaurant wasn't crowded at all.

Glory Laine said...

I LOOOOVVVVVVE this idea. I have such a soft place in my heart for "old people". Please invite us next year. We would love to join you.

Happy McNally Mom said...

Hi Lizzy my name is Kristan. I just started reading your blog through Sharon. I hope you don't mind.
This post is so sweet. I think our family is going to have to start something like this. What a blessing for these people to enjoy your kids for the evening. An evening like this is such a great testimony for these wonderful people.

Angela said...

I love that you do this. You are blessing those people more than you will ever know. And what a wonderful example you are instilling in your sweet children.
Love the pictures as usual and
I am sure you would be making grandma Fern proud!!!

Lindsay said...

What an awesome, awesome tradition. My first graders used to go and sing Christmas carols and take hand-made gifts to a retirement home near my school.

I know they appreciate children. They seem to get an extra sparkle in their eye. It's as if they are living through the kids and remembering their childhood.

Keep it up Liz! Not only do the people who live there benefit, but your kids do as well!

Blessings to you friend ~

Ona said...

What a wonderful tradition and memories you are creating for your children. When I taught at CSCCC we would take the kids to the Wilson House for Valentines Day. The kids loved decorating Valentines and passing them out. Great idea...never thought of something so sweet for Halloween. So many people don't celebrate this holiday...what a great alternative. I would really like to do this as well.

Kim H. said...

What a great idea!! Your kids are learning such great Godly lessons through your teachings - and they'll probably never know how much joy they've brought to the people they visit every year! What a blessing.

Jen said...

Tears are rolling!!

I showed Jeremy the pictures and told him about it. He was choking back a few tears too.

Beautiful act of God's grace. Your kids look happy and content, too! Love it!

Michelle said...

Wow! I am totally going to consider this for next year. The funny thing is that my oldest, Judah, mentioned last night that he wanted to stop "there" (retirement home) and pass out his candy. I am going to tuck this thought away for next year, or maybe another holiday this year. What a way to be Jesus in the flesh!

Kailin said...

I love this tradition! I have struggled with Halloween for years. What a great way to turn it around for God's glory! I am going to tuck this one away for later as well!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tradition! The kids' costumes are so adorable!

Rachel said...

You are such a wonderful mother!!!! And you are raising three very beautiful and giving children. I'm sure made the month of every single resident there!!

Stefanie said...

I read this last week and didn't have time to comment...just wanted you to know that I love your family's tradition! You are great parents:)

You made me remember that I need to be creating opportunities for my kids to have hearts like Jesus more often!

February Jill said...

This brought tears to my eyes, Liz. What a beautiful lesson to teach your children. I just love you.

February Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie of Momia said...

What a great tradition!! :)