Thursday, October 4, 2007

Becoming Tough

Let me tell you a little bit about Daniel. He loves animals. He loves to read. He loves pickles (even dipped in ice cream), He loves to give homeless people food (if we drive by a person holding a sign, I always hear, "mom pull over!" and he will proceed to give that person anything he has, string cheese, fruit snack, half eaten hamburger....anything!) He loves science. He loves 500 piece puzzles. He loves studying human anatomy. He loves building 1,000 piece star wars lego ships all by himself. I wish I had a picture of his lego collection to show you, but he has taken all his ships apart just so he can put them back together again. He calls himself the "lego doctor". The neighbor boys bring over their broken spaceships and Daniel puts them back together for them without the directions. And you should have seen the Thomas the Tank Engine tracks he would build when he was younger. He's a whiz on the piano, it just comes naturally to him. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you. One thing Daniel is not naturally gifted in is athletics. The whole running, hand-eye coordination, agility, and competitive-attitude thing just has never caught on.

He made the choice to play football this year, and has been having quite a hard time. His coaches are pretty over-the-top tough on the boys. He just hasn't been "getting it" and wants to quit. But last night him and Jon came home grinning ear to ear, and Daniel looked like this:
Daniel got his first big tackle ever! Not just one, but several! Jon said he just came alive out in the mud and rain, and it was like everything just "clicked". Jon said Daniel just got in attack mode and started plowing guys down! Jon almost started crying (well, not really, but he was very excited and very proud) as he was retelling the practice to me. So here's to you Daniel! We're proud of you, that you worked hard, and did your best! And we're proud of who you are, even if you don't choose to play football next year, that doesn't matter. We just want you to *be yourself, because God can't use anyone else.
The way He made you is perfect!

*this quote belongs to Pastor Bob Kruse, I can't take credit for it :)

10 comments:

Stefanie said...

Hi! I don't know you, but I see your comments on my sister-in-law, Becca's blog and some of her close friends too. I noticed on Julie's that you said "Garland Trivia" and I thought - lizzyg, huh, Garland, must be her last name. We're having our third girl right after Christmas this year and I really like the name Garland for a girl! Is that weird? My husband isn't in love with it, but I thought you should know:)

Also, I love your tribute to your son - Great work buddy!

Sharon said...

Way to go Daniel! I love it! Even if you might not be in the NFL one day, I'm sure that pummeling a few guys along the way feels pretty darn good!! I would love to hear you play the piano~I think that's awesome. Real men play the piano~it's very romantic, you'll get all the ladies.

Gabby came home from soccer practice last night looking JUST like that! She was so excited to tell me about the slide tackles she made in the mud. Clorox is my bestest friend right now!

See you Saturday! Yea! : )

LizzyG said...

Sharon,
2 days till GAME DAY! I can't wait!!! It might just be one of the proudest moments of my life.

Lindsay said...

Totally loving that Daniel commented!!
... and what a great post!
You are a treasure Liz & your writing proves it!
Have a wonderful weekend!!

Rachel said...

I'm still laughing at how dirty he looks! He's like an Orbitz gum commercial.
What a wonderful kid...and pretty darn cute too! Oh and my vacuum cleaner is broken...can he fix that?

Unknown said...

Great Job Daniel! I'm loving all that dirt..and I have utmost respect for anyone who understands the game of football. I love going to watch my nephew play, and have been for several years...yet I still don't get it! I feel like I know you guys, even though I've only met Jon. Such a wonderful tribute to a wonderful kid!

Thank you so much for the pregnant picture...you look SO cute! I wish I could get Eddie to rub my feet...although its a mutual feeling, we both have issues with touching feet. :)

Arminda said...

Yay for Daniel! Hope his game goes well tomorrow. Sarah's too! Loved catching up on Garland news, and I'll see you tomorrow night!

Ona said...

Hi,
Got your comment. Yes! I know who you are and it was so funny when I saw John. He didn't quite remember me if at all until I told him it was me. I could have sworn he was looking at me like a stalker when I kindly said, "hello".

Unknown said...

Ok, I just have to say again, thank you for the pregnant picture. Eddie came home to eat and I showed it to him and he thought it was so sweet of you to post it! My belly button feels like its going to burst this evening, please tell me it won't? :)

Julie said...

Way to go, Daniel! I love it that you're out there doing your best!

I'm excited that you'll get to meet Sharon... all us blogger girls need to get together sometime!