Saturday, October 6, 2007

Cyber Friends No More....

.......We have officially met!

Today was the day, "the meeting"

Let me give you a little background:

When I first started blogging, I only knew two fellow bloggers, Angela and Becca. And they would so sweetly and faithfully leave comments on my blog. Then the day came when I commented on Becca's blog, and well I was public domain then. I might as well have put a classified out in the paper! I began to be found by all you lovely ladies who are Becca's friends.


Well, truth be told, I snooped around Sharon's blog before she commented on mine (but never dared to comment). When I first read Sharon's blog it was sisterly love at first paragraph. I read through her whole blog start to finish, and was totally amazed. I had never known a person who was so much like me. My upbringing was so similar to hers, "secular music" banned from our house, going to private school, our competitive nature and love for sports, our love for Ebay, our dislike for doing laundry.......Everything she wrote about, I would think that is totally me!!! I figured out she was some kind of pastor's wife at Court Street, but surely not the Senior Pastor's wife. She's too funny, too down to earth real, and too fashionable! I mean what pastor's wife wears ring watches and plays Bon Jovi on their blogs, and tells friends about "the submarine races"? So I did some investigating on the church's website, and lo and behold....She is the pastor's wife!!! I was floored!


Then the glorious day came, Sharon commented on my blog!!! I was thrilled that I could now read hers and comment too! And then came today, both of our daughter's playing in the same volleyball league provided the perfect opportunity to finally meet! I was too rushed this morning to worry about what I looked like or what I was going to wear to "our meeting day", but when I saw her, she was everything I dreamed she'd be :) I felt a little insecure as I approached the tall, skinny, beautiful stranger, but as we started talking, and she insisted our girls get a picture together....with a volleyball, I knew, ahh, that's the witty Sharon I know! And she so kindly gave me a chocolate bar (not just any chocolate bar, a Dove dark chocolate bar, my absolute favorite) and a card, which on the cover celebrated my "love for shoes" Chocolate and shoes, yep this girl knows me alright, and now I'm so glad to say I know her too....for real!

19 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness! I can't decide if I'm either flattered by your compliments, embarrassed by my "un-pastor's wife like" behavior, or frightened by your uncanny memory for every detail in my blog! You are so funny! But now that we've officially reached the "spill our guts" level of friendship, I'll just let you know that, I, too read your blog from start to finish one day and was blown away by our similarities! I think I had a friend-crush! : ) I was out with Becca and I asked her, "Tell me about this LizzyG girl! I like her!"

So there you have it~it's all out in the open now: we were once both stalkers and now we're friends, brought together by the world wide web and volleyball! You can't top that!

Rachel said...

Ohhh. That's so great. I'm happy that the two of you were able to meet face to face.
Now I'm going to have to go check Sharon's blog too! (Sorry Sharon...I'll try not to stalk)

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Yea! Glad you two finally met up with each other :) Sounds like it was a fun day!

Stefanie said...

That was a really cool post!

I've known Becca for 11 years now, as we married brothers...and Sharon almost as long, because she and Becca were already friends back then:). They are both unbelievable ladies - I look up to them both for multiple reasons.

I have to say, that when I read YOUR blog for the first time, I was thinking that you were a real likable person and possibly a kindred spirit too. Sharon said she asked Becca to "Tell me about this LizzyG girl!"...I was going to do the same thing next time I saw Becca. I think our cousin Jill is thinking the same thing too.

Blog Friendship is a great cure to lonely days at home!

PSS- Looked up Garland on a baby namesite and my own name, Stefanie, came up meaning, "crowned or a garland". Still in the name game process, but how cool is that?

Glory Laine said...

Ummm, YOU'RE WELCOME!
So glad you two found one another.

Lindsay said...

How fun! I just met one of my best blogger friends a couple of weeks ago - it was wonderful!!
I swear that "blog land" is a gift from God for us moms!
Enjoy the friendship you've started!

Sharon said...

Here's a funny thing: later in the day yesterday, I attended a wedding where the bride and groom met on eHarmony.com! It was a cyber day!

Michelle said...

so jealous... I am looking forward to our "meeting!" :-)

February Jill said...

Lizzy!
I don't even know you but any time you want to get together and watch Can't Buy Me Love, I am there! I know Becca loves it too. Can't beat Patrick Dempsey going through adolescence!

AngieG said...

I love this. It's so cool!

Sharon said...

Here's my thoughts after reading your comments on Jill's blog:

My two favorite 80's quotes:

"Does anyone have change for a $20?" (Reply) "Oh, Sorry! I don't have anything smaller than a $50!"

and..

"He went from, like, totally geek to totally chic!"

Ok. Movie and latte night at Becca's. Soon.

LizzyG said...

correction Sharon..."He went from totally geek to totally SHEEK"

LizzyG said...

or are you pronouncing chic as sheek? Maybe I corrected you in haste.

Once again, our friend-crush continues, I believe "night owls" is yet another common bond:)

Sharon said...

Yes, "chic" is phonetically "sheek!" I took French in high school. You didn't take Spanish, did you????

LizzyG said...

si senorita. estudio espanol en escuela para cuatro anos.

I sense a disturbance in our "friend-crush" :)

Sharon said...

Je ne parle pas d'espagnol, mais vous ĂȘtes toujours mon ami!

LizzyG said...

Mon dieu! Merci vraiment mon ami.

Angela said...

Okay so I am so glad that you guys met and sad that I live here and can't hang with you guys more often!
Don't you dare have a movie night until I come to town. Rebecca and I must of watched Can't Buy Me love a million times when we were growing up!