Saturday, December 20, 2008

10 Years of Faithful Service

It was early December of 1998 and my little 19 month old boy and I walked into Joanne's Fabric Store. I was 9 months pregnant with a little girl due to arrive any day. I saw these adorable snowmen stockings, two big ones and two little ones, and just had to buy them. I took these little snowmen home to our tiny duplex and hung them on the 1970's rock wall in our living room.As the years went by, I discovered a little thing called the Pottery Barn. :) Oh, how I would flip through the pages of those catalogs longing for such nice things to decorate my home with. Every Christmas season, I would admire the beautifully personalized velvet stockings, and try to figure out a way to fit them into our already strained December budget. But, no such luck, and I would hang those snowmen year after year. Well, this year, I got a big surprise, a wonderful thing called Cyber Monday (the Monday after Thanksgiving). And guess what? On that one day only, these stockings which would normally have cost $142 ($25 each plus $17 shipping) only cost $50 total!!! That's right, $10 each plus free personalization and free shipping!!! I was ecstatic!However, when the kids and I were unpacking the Christmas boxes, they couldn't believe we weren't going to hang the snowmen stockings.

"But mom, we love the snowmen stockings. We ALWAYS put those up every year."

They weren't too excited about my new, "nicer" stockings. I too felt a twinge of sadness at the thought of not hanging the snowmen up.

After all, they've been apart of our lives for 10 years now. Oh, the memories they've shared with us over the years. They hung on the mantel when a little two year old Daniel opened his first Thomas the Tank engine set, when Sarah shrieked with excitement at the sight of her new Princess scooter, when we celebrated Christmas with loved ones who are no longer with us. They were still hung on the mantel as we walked in the door on December 29th, 2004 with a new little baby girl in our arms. Yes, I miss the snowmen stockings too. Sometimes "nicer" isn't always better.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

As I type this, the snow continues to fall!

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

I John 4:9-11

8 comments:

Ona said...

I was going to get those myself and slacked. I'll try again next year!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the insight on the stockings! Seriously! I love them, and I have hand-me-downs and I am ready to be a big-girl and have our own!

Unknown said...

Those are such beautiful stockings! We got new pottery barn stockings too! Ours are actually from Pottery Barn Kids and I bought them in March on clearance, I think I paid about $35 total for all three of ours, with personalization too! They were actually my very first PB purchase!! Glad to see you are enjoying this wonderful time of year! Merry Christmas!

Stefanie said...

Your living room looks divine. I love your stockings:). I got mine there too:) a couple years ago and this year Maisie cried because she doesn't like her yellow one - she wants a red one like Daphne's. First year for opinions about Christmas out of her...

Isn't it funny how we loved our less expensive decor as kids and never even dreamed that we would want a stocking other than the one our moms made us??? I have to remember perspective in this area...

Catching up on your blog was fun.

Rachel said...

Your stockings are beautiful. They look perfect!
I am still a kid at heart, who loves the traditions! I even asked my mom for the stocking I had as a kid, but she didn't want to give it up. So, I got the pattern from her (she still had it from the 70's) and made stockings for my family. I may never grow up!!

Janell said...

So funny Liz....I have been wanting to buy stockings from P.B but refuse to pay full price so I'am waiting for after Christmas. Cant wait. I hope you have a Merry Christmas. Miss you guys. Janell

Angela said...

Your pictures are so pretty!
Have a Merry Christmas my sweet friend!

Tiffany said...

I seriously drool over Pottery Barn. Some day...

By the way, your daughter Sarah looks SO much like you.