Monday, November 10, 2008

To Meghan, With Love

About two weeks ago Meghan asked me for my sweet-n-sour chicken recipe. I said, “sure, I’ll email it to you tonight when I get home!” Like I said, that was about two weeks ago. So Meghan, and anyone else who needs a good idea for dinner, here it is:

Sweet – n- Sour Chicken
This is my go-to recipe, it turns out delicious every time!

1 to 2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Garlic salt
Eggs
Flour
2 Tbs. oil

Sauce:
¼ cup pineapple juice
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup ketchup
½ cup vinegar (either apple cider or white)
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. soy sauce

-Combine sauce ingredients in sauce pan, stir well and heat on low to medium heat while preparing chicken

-Cut chicken into small pieces (a little bigger than bite size)
-Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt
-Dip chicken pieces in egg (I usually crack about 6 eggs in a large bowl, stir and then add all the chicken in at once so they can soak in the eggs while I work. I realize this is a tad wasteful)
-Coat each piece with flour
-Heat oil over medium high heat
-Add chicken pieces to hot oil, brown until golden on each side
-Place chicken in 13 x 9 inch baking pan
-Pour heated sauce over chicken
-Cook uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
-We like to eat this with rice and broccoli and then finish off with a big dessert!
My aunt emailed me this picture today. That's my little sister on the left, my grandma, and the big-banged, velvet dress wearing, me! I remember being so excited getting this new doll...if only life could be that simple again.
_______________________________________________________

The Lord is at Your right hand; He will shatter kings in the day of His wrath. He will judge among the nations. ~Psalm 110:5-6

He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray. He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool. When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. ~Provebs 10:17-9

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I make sweet and sour chicken and my recipe is just about exactly the same. How funny! It is good! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you thank you! To any of you ladies who haven't had LizzyG's sweet n sour chicken, you are missin' out! She graciously made it for Eddie and I right after Diego was born and brought it to us hot and ready to eat with rice, asparagus and you guessed it, a big dessert! It was so delicious, I had been craving it ever since. Lizzy, I'm glad my subtle pestering paid off, I'm going to make this tomorrow!! :)

Lindsay said...

Thanks! That sounds so good. My husband loves anything sweet and sour and I'm always in need of a new recipe. I'm gonna try it!

And what a CUTE picture. Love the BIG dollies :)

Christi said...

I love that picture...I had those same big bangs...why did our moms do that?! But yes, I am craving that simple life of happiness coming from a big overstuffed doll.

Angela said...

That sounds really good!