Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Reason Why

This picture alone sums up the reason why our family goes to the Retirement Home every year on HalloweenIf you look closely, you can see a tear in this man's eye. As I watched from a distance, I saw his face light up when Daniel sat down on the couch next to him and struck up a conversation.

It brings so much joy to these wonderful people to see the kids each year . We always leave feeling so glad that we took the time to go. This year almost didn't happen. As October 31st started to creep up, I told Jon it was literally impossible for me to get everything ready this year, and I just didn't think we could go. He reminded me of how much it means to the elderly people and how it's just as important for our kids as well. So Big Daddy (as he likes to call himself) took over! Calling the retirement home, arranging a time for us to come and how many gift bags we would need to bring. Multiple shopping trips with a 3 year old in tow to the Bible Book House, Walmart, Targt & Winco. Then he and Olivia stuffed 105 gift bags full of goodies...I didn't do a thing! So thanks to Jon, we didn't miss out on any of this: I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.... Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me. (Matthew 25, The Message)


Yep, it's November 2nd, so as promised, here's your Psalm & Proverb for the day :)
Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry for help come to you. Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress. Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly. ~Psalm 102:1-2
For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. ~Proverbs 2:6-8

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

Tears! Oh how awesome it is that you do this!! God uses your family every year to minister to these people and that in itself is just ASWESOME!!

Have a GREAT day!

Glory Laine said...

A few things...
Thing # 1-
I love that you guys do this every year. This totally pulls at my heart strings and the lasting effects that this example has on your children is surely going to shape them into lovely adults.

Thing #2-
I love that you were able to tell Jon that you couldn't do it all. And I love that because Jon is a great leader in your home or (big daddy) he took on the cause. What an example of a healthy marriage!

Thing #3-
I triple love that you are blogging everyday.

Stefanie said...

Liz,

So glad you are BACK! Missed you and your family.

I like Becca, love you annual Halloween tradition.
The kids looked super cute too.

Good luck on the everyday thing :) Good for us! (hard on you!!)

Stef

Rachel said...

Welcome back! I've missed seeing everything that you and your beautiful children have been doing. I hope you are doing okay...sounds like you might have your hands full right now. I want you to know that I appreciate being able to read your blog everyday this month. Being stuck at home all day every day...I am your captive audience.I hope things slow down for you...if you want them to.

Lindsay said...

This is a wonderful tradition. You're right....little children have a way of reaching people's hearts, and the elderly can be so lonely. What a wonderful gift you gave them!

I'm so glad you are back in the bloggin' world, too!

Michelle said...

Ditto to all of the others... I was so moved by this same post a year ago(I can't believe that I have 'known' you for a year!!!) Your family is a BLESSING. :)

February Jill said...

Welcome back Liz! I've missed you.

I adore this tradition and I LOVE your little Sarah Palin walking around campaigning. You got her hair just right!

Jill

Valerie of Momia said...

I do so enjoy taking Makayla to the retirement home where her great-great grandmother lives. They love the company of children! My two favorite visits were Valentine's Day where 18 month old Makayla dressed in a poofy pink dress handed out homemade valentines to the residents and Easter when she handed out (sugar free!) candy.

You know what you're doing, Lizzy and children, is making a difference. You can see it on the residents' faces!

Tiffany said...

Ummm, this post made me teary-eyed. I NEVER thought to start such a tradition and it is SUCH a good idea! It speaks volumes. You just may have inspired many to steal your idea!