Monday, March 17, 2008

Playing Catch Up

Meet DeweyNo, he's not ours, but we sure wish he was.He is the sweetest little Yorkie and belongs to our good friends. They brought him over for dinner last weekend, and our kids were in absolute heaven. Olivia has now named every single stuffed puppy she owns, Dewey.
Goodness, where has the last two weeks gone? It's been a busy time in our house, and I'll give you a quick update:


Olivia got her driver's license Jon let her sit on his lap and "drive" the car up our driveway and into the garage. She was thrilled!
Daniel took over my position at Willamette University He had the day off of school, and was able to come to work with me for a few hours.
I really enjoyed having him there!We made a new friend: Diego Diaz
What a precious, beautiful little boy!(To cut or not to cut, that is the question. I'm thinking about getting a short, sleek, chin length bob. Hmmm....what to do? I gladly welcome your opinion.)

Jonny's Kids:
These two brown-eyed cuties look so much like their Dad, it's unreal.

Yesterday I ran the 8K Shamrock Run in downtown Portland with my sister-n-law Carey. It was a beautiful crisp, sunny spring morning, and we both finished with a PR time. It was such a great run, and we had so much fun! The best part about it was, while I was driving, I listened to 104.1 fm which, I discovered, plays non-stop worship music on Sunday mornings. I sang to every single song on the way there and back. It was amazing, favorite song after favorite song would play, and I just sang my heart out :). It really was a special time of worship. And for me, running is my conversation time with God. That's why I love it so much. I hit the road, and I just quiet my mind (I'm not an Ipod girl, I never listen to music while I run), and pretty soon all my thoughts start to surface, and I just start talking to God. I pray about everything that comes to mind, and often while I'm running I feel such a sense of gratitude. I feel so at peace, and all the things God has done for me come to mind, sometimes overlooked in the busyness, I remember them in the quiet while I'm running and thank Him. Anyways.... I write all this to say, it was a perfect morning. I worshipped the way up to Portland. Had an awesome talk with God while I ran, and worshipped all the way home!


Later that day, I was cutting Sarah's hair, and had a few pairs of scissors on the kitchen table. Somehow, when I wasn't looking, Olivia snuck up and grabbed a pair. Halfway through Sarah's haircut I realized I hadn't heard or seen Olivia in quite a while. I found her hiding behind the piano. She looked up at me and said, "I do nuffin" (translated: I didn't do anything). I looked down and saw the scissors in her hand.....HOLY MOLY! She cut her hair! On the right side of her head, she cut above the ear all the way towards the back. I so badly want to show you a picture, but I can't get my camera to work...bummer! She looks so funny though, and I don't even know what to do. I can't even it out, because she literally would have a boy's haircut, but I can't just leave it, because looking at her straight on, the left side has hair and the right side doesn't. It's quite a sight!
Well, I apologize for this random, scattered blog post, but it's all I got right now :)

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
~Romans 12:3

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post! and not just because my beautiful baby was featured in it! Sounds like you guys have had fun lately! Thank you again for the delicious meal you brought over, I'm hoping you'll share your sweet n sour chicken recipe with me? It was SO GOOD!! The rolls were really delicious too, were they home made? I really enjoyed meeting you and your kids. They are so sweet and well behaved. Olivis was so sweet with Diego, you'll have to come over again and she can hold him. :)

I am seriously thinking about a haircut too! You should do it! In fact, we could do it together! I was thinking about visiting Ona's friend who does hair. If you don't have a hairstylist you're committed to, it would be fun to go see her together!! She did such a great job on Ona's hair cut and color, i would like something similar. Not quite that short, but my hair is just too long for me right now. What do you think??

Ona said...

I agree...go to Nikki. Just chop it off, it's just hair. I know how men love long hair, but Dave can't stand that I pull it back all the time when I do have it long. Keeping it short is easy and makes me have to style it. Well, most of the time.
Enjoyed your post Liz. I'm so proud of you and Carey. How in the heck you manage these good times with as little as you say you run. You are much to modest and not giving yourself enough credit.

momaof4 said...

I love that your little girl cut her hair! Me neices helped each other when they were younger, and my 5 year old son cut his "bangs" if boys have bangs. There really is nothing to do about it. :) It's a good conversation starter!

On a side note, by husband works on Wednesday nights with the boys class...and said your kids are SO good!!!! See you soon.

LizzyG said...

Actually Ona, Jon really wants me to get my hair cut short. He LOVES my hair short (which I think is weird he even cares that much). Me, I prefer long hair. I love the way it looks when I take the time to fix it. The problem is, I rarely have time to curl it or straighten it. But it's taken me 3 1/2 years to get it this long, and once I cut it, I know I'll look around and think, "everyone has short hair"....So I'm torn. It's a good thing I have way more important things to think about ;)

LizzyG said...

Ok, MAMA OF 4, were you in my small group last week?!!!

And thank you for telling me my kids were well-behaved, that just made my day(my lazy, no shower, still in my pj pants day)!!!

Happy McNally Mom said...

I am enjoying hearing your perspective on everything in our bible study. You are such a neat person. I am so jealous of your running. I am starting out with walking and we'll see where it takes me. The west salem hills are so steep, I'm sure I get some credit for that.

Lindsay said...

Great post....I feel all caught up now :)

So neat you were able to have a wonderful run! I started out listening to my ipod while running (So I'd have something else to focus on besides my out of shape bod) But I can see how without music to distract me it could be a very relaxing time with God.

One of my fears is that Anna will someday find the scissors and chop her hair....I know it's just hair...but still! I know I would freak out :)

Lindsay said...

Liz -

here is my bulleted comment:

* I too love worship music - especially when it is non-stop

* Your running ability amazes me - way to go!

* Your children are beautiful!

* Go to Nikki - I loved it when she cut my hair... and I agree with the Ona's comment - hair grows... but I'm a short hair girl!

* Not sure what to say about Olivia & the scissors - except that I'm thankful Mason is a boy... because I know he would have attempted that long, long ago :)


Blessings to you & may God continue to be bold & bright & evident in your life!

Rachel said...

Your kids are as beautiful as ever...Olivia's hair may look cute short...who knows.

I have never run outside with music. Scott bought me an ipod to run with on the tread mill (which I remember sometime)...but I never use it outside. I love the time I spend running/talking with Scott, but I really do enjoy running by myself too. There really is such a peaceful state your brain turns to while running. I've been a distance runner for 20 years now (I started when I was 13), and so many of the issues, problems, decisions I've had, have been resolved while running (or at least put back into perspecive).
I can relate so well!!!

February Jill said...

Well as far as Olivia is concerned, I hear the pixie cut is in!
And as far as you are concerned, I say if you don't have a gut feeling to follow, then do what your husband likes. You can't go wrong there!

Angela said...

Okay I seriously thought the Yorkie was yours!!!
I know where you can get one! My little Lu Lu should be giving birth in about 2 weeks!!!
Anyway so thankful for this post. I was wondering what was going on with you guys. I guess I should of just called!
I hope you are having a great week!
Miss you!

Christi said...

So good to see what you guys have been up to!

I love the picture of Olivia driving with Daniel being all crazy in the background. He reminds me of the boys in my class that I adored when I was teaching fourth grade before kids.

You are making me want to run! A good friend of mine is moving here soon and we are planning to start it up together.

Your long hair looks so pretty...it's a tough call.

Hope you have a great rest of the week!

Stefanie said...

I am staying up late tonight, and I thought of you...so I checked your blog and sure enough...a new post. And I liked the randomness, because it's all I wanted - a catch up on your life:).

How funny, that I love to hear about all my blogging friends lives, but I hardly know ya'll.

Two things:

1. Have only ran in one official race - it was the Shamrock one in 1996.

2. Someone once told me that "real" runners don't listen to music when they run. That's how I know that I am a "fake" runner:) - I need every distraction possible to get me thru it!!

Take care and good luck with Olivia's new do.

Michelle said...

Ok... your hair is GORGEOUS! I love short/fun hair but I wouldn't cut too much off... I would LOVE to have your hair! just my 2 cents. One reason I don't have long hair is that I always get the "bug" this time of year to cut it. :-)

Anonymous said...

my two cents is to leave it long - it 's soooo pretty and you have the rest of your life to have a short cute funky style....plus you have to keep up on your haircuts so much more when you have one of those cute cuts...LOVED your post - what a sweet family. Lori E

Tiffany said...

Lizzy...I think you would look very chic with a short bob. And it would be very easy too for a mom on the go. But long hair is hard to get rid of when you've had it for awhile...takes some getting used to the new cut. Can't wait to see what you do!

Meghan...I wondered how long it would take you to venture into the thoughts of getting "mom hair"!

Jen said...

Happy Good Friday Liz!!!

I saw this post earlier this week and scanned through the pictures and thought...she has the BEST hair. Then I read it in full and see there's a poll going on about if you should cut it! How funny. I have no idea what to tell you, I can only imagine it looking really good in the angled bob that's the thing right now. One thing to consider..it'll be more of a pain when you run, you won't be able to pull it back, but there are cool headbands!

Another thing to consider, you could grow it a while longer and donate it to Locks of Love (I think it requires 10 inches or more)...the organization that collects hair for cancer kids. That would make the sacrifice totally worth it. Less risky if you know you're helping a sweet kid in need.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter.

God Bless, Jen Green