Sunday, July 15, 2007

Grace Like Rain

Today we visited a new church. And after we got the kids settled into their classes and the nursery, Jon and I slipped in and took a seat in the back row. Towards the end of the worship service we sang a song which was somewhat like an upbeat, new rendition of Amazing Grace. There was this one part of the song which particularly moved me: "Hallelujah, grace like rain falls down on me, hallelujah, all my stains are washed away, they're washed away" At this part of the song, the sound of voices in the sanctuary was noticably louder. So many people just raised their hands and wholeheartedly sang out to God, "hallelujah, all my stains are washed away!" As I looked around (I know, I know, I was people watching during church) I realized it is a statement that resonates in the deepest part of every heart: " I am so undeserving, but all the wrongs, all the mistakes I've made, even the same old ones that keep tripping me up, they're washed away." I could see the joy on people's faces as they worshiped, as they sang those words, "all my stains are washed away". How can we not shout it out with a voice of gratitude to our God? It was just a remarkable moment, standing in the back of a church, watching a congregation worship, and noticing how one simple sentence touched so many people. It's something we all have in common. We all mess up, we all make mistakes, we all say things and do things that leave "stains" in our lives. But....."If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
(1 John 1:9) Incredible!!! This is one of my favorite verses. Why? One word: ALL. No matter what it is, no matter how many times, God is faithful, and He will forgive...all of it. Hallelujah, grace like rain, falls down on me!

oops! should've posted last week:
Another Thursday, another swim meet!
Daniel was smokin' fast in his breast stroke race!
And Olivia, well, there was this kiddie pool next to the big pool. She decided to hop on in with all her clothes on. She spent the entire meet playing in this pool, which was actually very relaxing for me!
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.
~Lamentations 3:23 & 25

2 comments:

Angela said...

Love this post!

Anonymous said...

You are such an encouragement to me Liz. Thanks for the great post! I too, love that song, especially that version. You're a blessing!