Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Promise Made

November 8th, 1997

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

~Ephesians 3:20,21

We put this verse on our wedding program. It feels even more relevant to us today then it was ten years ago. God has truly done immeasurably more then we could have ever asked for or even imagined. He has blessed our marriage and our family so greatly since the day we were married. He has walked right along side us, as hand in hand, Jon and I have walked through some deep valleys together, and have partied on the mountain tops. To Him be the glory throughout all generations, through OUR generations, our grandchildren and great grandchildren. May God be glorified through their lives, as they live lives dedicated to serving Him. One of the many special things I remember about our wedding was our vows. I thought I would share them with you, just as a reminder to all of us of the promises we have made:

I Elizabeth take you Jon to be my wedded husband. With deepest joy I receive you into my life that together we may be one. With confidence I submit myself to your headship as unto the Lord, and I promise you my deepest my love and my unselfish devotion. Because God has prepared me for you, I will ever help, comfort and encourage you. Therefore Jon, I pledge to you my life as a loving and faithful wife to share with you in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health. To forgive and strengthen you, and to join with you so that together we may serve God and others as long as we both shall live.

I need to remember that every day, through the dishes, the laundry, the hectic schedules, and raising our kids, I made a vow, a vow to God and to my husband. I vowed to be unselfish and encouraging. I vowed to be loving and faithful. I vowed to forgive, strengthen and to serve. Every day, I need to be living out these promises. But one thing I've learned over the last ten years, I can only do it through God's strength!

Happy marriages to all of you today!

19 comments:

Stefanie said...

Liz,

I can do some math and just have to say, "Happy 10th!"

Mike and I were married in Nov. 98 - so we'll be there next year at this time.

You were a beautiful bride!

Stefanie said...

Daphne is reading with me and she says that she likes your music. Oh, and that she loves you. Don't you just love kids?

Ona said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Beautiful vows and pictures.

Are you doing anything special?

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Jon and Liz. Im so thankful I was able to share that day with you guys. I miss you all. We need to catch up, its been to long. Janell

LizzyG said...

Ona,
Well, over this past year we had tentatively been planning a trip to Kona, Hawaii (a place that is very special to both of us, Jon went to YWAM there, was baptized there and proposed to me there). Well, in the last few months our garbage disposal broke, our garage door broke, I hit a garbage can and knocked the side-view mirror off our car, and we found out Sarah needs braces. So there goes all our "Hawaii money"
So, as much as we feel we deserve to go to Hawaii, even if it means going into debt over it, we used our better judgement and decided not to :(
So, we're headed up to Portland this weekend for a fun get-away. Yea, not Hawaii, but it works.

You know what I think? I think we should have "wedding showers" for people on their 10th anniversary. By that time, all their stuff from their wedding is outdated or broken. Wouldn't that be nice? I don't think we have 4 matching water glasses right now!

Lindsay said...

WOW!! What a great post. :) I feel like I was right there 10 years ago (well, not quite, but fun to see the pictures and read your vows)!
Have fun in Portland... and may the next 10 years be just as awesome as the first... trusting God, enjoying life, loving each other, and learning something new each and every day!

momaof4 said...

Happy 10 Years!!
Hawaii would have been so nice, but any weekend away together is awesome, right?
And I agree on the 10 years Shower!!

Ona said...

Have a wonderful time in Portland. We had wanted to go to Hawaii for our 10th, but no finances. We're shooting for our 15th now.

LizzyG said...

That's so funny, so are we!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I am also thankful that I was able to share in the joy of your wedding day. God has truly blessed your marriage. You and Jon are a wonderful testimony to the Lord. I agree with the 10 year shower too!:) Enjoy your weekend away. Love you guys!

Michelle said...

What a lovely post!!!! I really do enjoy your heart. I am so so with you on the shower idea. Blessings on your next 10 years together. :-)

Glory Laine said...

Liz, I just totally agree with needing a new shower after your ten year. You should see my towels.

Angela said...

Happy anniversary!!!
I remember that day so well!
Love you guys!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are such an adorable couple. Thank you for sharing your vows, how special. Looks like you had a wonderful wedding. Sorry to hear things didn't work out for your trip to hawaii, hopefully by the 15th anniversary it will!!!

HappyMomma2 said...

LizzyG-What a awesome post-thank you so much for sharing it with us! Congrats on your 10th! We all need to get together and bring our wedding albums. Craig and I celebrate our 10th this august so lets get going on the 10th anniversary shower thing!

Julie said...

I know that I'm late getting this to you (we've been gone)... but Happy Anniversary! I think your ten year is a special one! Well, really they ALL are, right?

Looking forward to meeting you at the coffee night???

Rachel said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love the pictures and the vows.
Here's to having a Anniversary Shower every 10 years!!!
And how did you knock your mirror off by hitting a garbage can? Was it a big metal one??

February Jill said...

Happy Anniversary Liz! I can't wait to meet you!

Glory Laine said...

Hey friend, Looks like this job is sucking the life out of you. No new posts in awhile. Just know we are all thinking of you during this transition.
Becca