Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ignorance is Bliss

I just have to share this little tidbit:

This morning we had a last minute wardrobe change. The outfit I had laid out for Sarah was vetoed. She informed me she had P.E. today and wanted to trade in her sparkly ballet flats for her Nike's, and the perfectly coordinated denim skirt for shorts that she could "run fast in". So as we tried to come to a compromise of finding an outfit that would be hip and athletic at the same time, the sweetest, most innocent words came out of my 8 year-old daughter's mouth....."mom, why can't I just wear what I wore yesterday?"

I knew my kids had been sheltered from being home-schooled, but I didn't realize how much, until I heard Sarah say those words. She has never learned the unspoken rule of girls everywhere: NEVER, EVER repeat an outfit! At least not for a week or two. When I was in 6th grade, I remember my friend Muffy bragging about how she was not going to repeat an outfit for the whole school year.....and she did it!!!

Don't get me wrong, I definitely will not encourage my daughter to be materialistic, or obsess over what she's going to wear. I just found it sweetly amusing how she couldn't understand why she couldn't just wear the same thing she wore yesterday! It's a good thing she has a savvy, trend-setting, fashionista for a mother who is able to help her out! Ok, well, maybe fashionista is the wrong word, but I can still give some good motherly input!
Sarah (and her American Girl doll in matching nightgowns), has thankfully not yet entered the "peer-pressured world of fashion"

4 comments:

Angela said...

Okay I am laughing at the Muffy thing because I remember her telling me that in junior high!
Sarah is so precious.

Glory Laine said...

If I remeber correctly it was Muffy and Jana who both didn't repeat an outfit for a year.

LizzyG said...

Oh my goodness! Yes!!! Muffy Skorohodov and Janna Debaker! They went to SA with me in 6th grade, and we were all one happy, trendy, snobby click! And then they left after that year. They must have went to junior high with you and Angela....I had no idea! Thankfully after sixth grade I snapped out of it, and hung around with much less fashion conscience friends who helped me be a much nicer person.

Angela said...

That is too funny! You should leave it!
I hope you are having a wonderful Monday my friend.
Love to you today!